Sunday, September 04, 2005

and in more heartening news, Napalm Death

... is still around, according to the New Yorker. OK, completely different lineup than my college days, but they're playing NYC and getting a preview writeup in the upper hair of the middle brow. Two things I learned from the piece: (1) that weird grindcore vocal style, which in my mind I always associated with lines like "My name is legion," is called "Cookie Monster." This is great to know, because it will enable me to tell a story that I love but so far have enjoyed only in memory. I was at a "death metal" show in Wichita with Johann, the punk rock conscience of my college days, and there was a grindcore opening act (incidental detail-- I was wearing a white shirt from the funk band Punkinhead, while everybody else in the place was in only black). The dance floor was empty but for two rather unthirsty (not anymore, anyways) and decidedly unpunk girls who I then considered "sorority" types, but in retrospect, I remember teased hair that definitely would not have survived a serious rush. After a couple of tunes, they called out to the singer "What's wrong with your voice?" He dropped the cookie monster (broke character? He had been using it for "Next song! Called! Ugga-bugga!" and the like) and said "No, nothing's wrong with it. That's just how we do it." Nice Kansas diction as you please.
(2) The review calls the ND wall of sound "gorgeous." That's the best descriptor since (but not better than) my college roomie Dave Wall's: "I like music like this... spunky!" I bet the reviewer also never heard Dave whistling the monotone tune of
Multi
National
Corpo
Rations
Genocide
Ofthe
Starving
Nations
Whuuuuuuuuuuu...

You want gorgeous.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Permalink
Mickey Kaus: Biden's Goat, Gotten. Still unpresidential after all these years. 09/02/05 Timothy Noah: On not owning a vacation home.
bad credit we can help you. We can get almost anyone approved for any type of loan you need, including all types of mortgages, refinances, pay day loan advance, auto financing and much more.
www.nwcleasing.com
can help you get the funds you need fast, usually within 24 hours or less.

September 4, 2005 at 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The self-driving car comes closer
It is an old chestnut-a car that drives itself-but General Motors, the world's largest car manufacturer, has become the latest company to claim to be building one.
gucci bag Terrific Gifts for Spring and Summer. Many Styles! Shop from our VAST COLLECTION of Handbags today! gucci bag

September 4, 2005 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger cultcrit said...

WTF? These must be either the cyberculture inadvertantly critiquing itself or some kind of Deleuzean schizoprenic thing that's over my head. Oh, well, anything to diversify our Google hits.

September 6, 2005 at 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just so you don't go thinking that it's only the scammers reaping from your blog, remember there are those of us out here still checking and reading and equally confused about the comments ... and equally stunned by what's been happening. dude, take care of yourself. my best wishes to m, c, and f.
-- af

September 14, 2005 at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home